Written by Lori Green, BA, RT, RDMS, RDCS, RVT
This enduring material is designed to provide a step by step protocol for performing a carotid Duplex/color flow imaging examination based on AIUM, ACR, and IAC ultrasound practice guidelines. The protocol is provided in a written outline format with examples of ultrasound images, spectral Doppler waveforms and diagnostic criteria for evaluation of carotid artery disease. A live demonstration is also included to reinforce the examination techniques.
Sonographers, physicians, PAs and other medical professionals involved with performing and interpreting carotid duplex/color examinations. Physician participants may include (but are not limited to) those whose specialty include radiology, internal medicine, cardiology, general/vascular surgery, and primary care.
- Overview/Protocol Summary
- Instrumentation and Purpose
- Exam Indications and Patient Assessment
- Carotid Study Worksheet
- Patient Positioning and Transducer Positioning
- Waveform Characteristics
- Examination Protocols
- Carotid Measurements/ Diagnostic Criteria
- Other Carotid Pathology
Educational Objectives: Upon completion of this enduring material, you should be able to accomplish the following:
- List the indications and applications for performing carotid duplex/color flow imaging
- Cite a routine protocol for a complete carotid ultrasound examination
- Perform standard measurements included in a routine examination
- List the hardcopy documentation included in a routine examination
Released 10/3/2014. Approved for credit through: 10/03/2017
2.0 AMA PRA 1 CME credits are available. See CME INFORMATION link on Home Page.
Ship Wt. 1 lb.