Author: Phillip J Bendick PhD, RVT, FSDMS, FSVU
Produced by Gulfcoast Ultrasound Institute Inc.
This enduring material will focus on a case based approach using duplex ultrasound to evaluate the extracranial cerebrovascular system. The cases will emphasize differentiating and documenting near total versus total occlusions of both the ICA and the CCA.
Additional cases will be presented on evaluating severe stenoses, some commonly made errors in evaluation (and how to correct them), abnormal vertebral artery hemodynamics, cardiac effects on cerebrovascular flow patterns, and special considerations for evaluating carotid stents.
After viewing this enduring material, the participant should be able to accomplish the following:
• Determine appropriate ultrasound machine settings to appropriately document a total occlusion.
• State the hemodynamic etiology of abnormal carotid artery Doppler waveforms.
• Document whether carotid vessels are patent and explain any discrepancies between duplex ultrasound findings and other imaging modalities.
• List appropriate diagnostic criteria for carotid stent restenosis.
* Normal Examination overview
* Carotid Stenosis Criteria
* Moderate and severe carotid stenosis
* Trickle flow
* Stent evaluation
* Diagnostic pitfalls
1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CME credits are available from Gulfcoast Ultrasound Institute (requires an additional fee). See CME INFORMATION link on Home Page.
Date of Original Release: 2/23/2015.
This edition valid for credit through: 2/23/2018
Length: 69 minutes
ISBN 978-1-940954-47-9 Ship wt. 1 lb